So, I research things compulsively, and when I think something is super interesting or nifty, I like to share it with people. I figured why not share the wealth with whoever decides to read this. Basically, here is a list of links, things, articles, jokes, etc. that I think are entertaining. This will be updated whenever I find new cool shit to add.
disclaimer : what I find entertaining may not entertain anyone else, so click things/read at risk of boredom or potential offense
Coolest Thing of the Moment:
Intrade – prediction markets for everything from elections to business moves to hollywood. This means you bet real money on events you think will happen. It’s pretty sweet. http://intrade.com/v4/home/
First and foremost, these shouldn’t even have to be mentioned, but Pandora and Google Reader are awesome, and should be used by all. Also, Groupon can be pretty amazing if you’re on a budget.
News Articles & Youtube Videos:
- cute pomeranian puppies…because I like fluffy things :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmts3jhp8Gk
- This kid has issues: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YersIyzsOpc
- worst roommate ever: http://www.refinery29.com/meat-lover-the-most-horri…
- “The United States of Shame – What’s Your State Worst At?”http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/the_daily_dis…
- Where Hitler got his hate :http://www.collegehumor.com/article:1813823?utm_sou…
- If google search had a sense of humor:http://www.cracked.com/photoplasty_172_if-google-se…
- Human cheese, anyone? http://www.grist.org/article/food-2011-01-12-care-f…
- Epic rap battles of history, especially the Einstein v. Hawkins one
- Riskay’s “Smell Yo Dick”
- DJ Earworm 2011 year of pop
- Dan Savage’s “Savage Love.” As kinky folk, if you’re not already reading (or listening to the podcast) I’m disappointed.http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/SavageLove?oid=7…
- Jim Gaffigan can be funny if you have a sense of humor. He’s from my hometown, so I have to promote him a bit. Look up the name with either “hot pocket,” “holiday traditions,” or “cake” for some of his funniest jokes.
- Capitol Steps is a hysterical satirical musical comedy group in DC. Their website is http://www.capsteps.com/, but you can watch it on youtube as well. A particularly funny one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIIPfxv1RwQ
Blogs & Websites:
- If you need a laugh, read Hyperbole and a Half (that was not intended to rhyme): http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/
- The best five books on everything, for those who need new book recommendations: http://thebrowser.com/fivebooks
- You can also read letters from all sorts of random public figures :http://www.lettersofnote.com/
- Going with books, Project Gutenberg has free ebooks of a shitton of classics: http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page
- Well, That’s Adorable regularly posts things that are adorable. It’s a great way to get your daily dose of cute.http://wellthatsadorable.com/page/1
- For long road trips, checkout Roadside America – you put in your zipcode, and it tells you all the random ass things nearby (like the world’s largest twine ball) : http://www.roadsideamerica.com/
- Sporcle is a site designed to help you procrastinate, but through intellectual challenges (so you feel slightly less guilty for it).http://www.sporcle.com/
Retail & Recipes:
- Tesla Electric Roadster…sigh my dream car. If only I had $200,000. Still, the car looks sexy, gets outstanding mileage, and is entirely electric. Win. http://www.teslamotors.com/roadster
- http://www.squishable.com – giant fluffy stuffed animals. They really are that big, and that awesome.
- A Caipirinha is an awesome brazilian drink. If you can find cachaca, then make this, but be prepared for the kick (it’s got hidden strength):http://hubpages.com/hub/CaipirinhaRecipe