First, some things I’d like to continue:
- Keeping a weekly gratitude journal. This year, I’d like to capture Sunday – Saturday, instead of Tuesday – Monday.
- Weekly game and dinner nights with my best friends.
- Blogging regularly.
- Using goodreads to track what I’m reading and how frequently I read.
- Regularly utilizing my RSS reader to stay up to date on technology, design, politics, cooking, and more.
Second, my overarching theme for the year is going to be “Healthy.” I want to focus on being healthier in spirit, mind, and body.
I’ve done a lot of reading this year on habits and willpower, and it requires too much energy to successfully complete a list of goals. I want to focus on bringing health into every part of my life, and then fundamentally on working out more to get in awesome shape. That’s it – that’s my one goal. In theory, in two months, it should be a habit and then I can move on to other ways to bring health into my life.
I’m still going to make a list of things I hope to do or accomplish, but I’m not going to actively work on those things. I spent a lot of time trying new things, visiting new places, etc. with friends to cross things off lists. I had a great year, but I spent too much money, gained weight, and was at a much higher level of stress.
So, first goal: get fit. Strength train every weeknight for about 10 minutes, and do calisthenics for another 10. Go to the gym at least 3x a week. Try to do more active things with friends.
Other ways to be healthy, should I make the above a habit, or to generally keep in mind:
- Gossip less.
- Volunteer or donate time and money to charity – give back.
- Cook at home more.
- Have better posture.
- Don’t get lazy with hair/makeup routines.
- Use mouthwash more regularly.
Outside my theme, below are things that I’m hoping to do in the next year anyway, but am not going to freak out or constantly work towards.
- pay off credit cards and keep them paid off
- save enough for three months expenses and an extra $1,000 (roughly $5,500)
- pay off my car
- read 50 books
- clean out all of my material possessions and organize things better
- get matching towels to replace mismatched current ones
- learn to cook macarons, thai curry, and coq au vin/beef (the last using my french oven)
- get a raise at my 6 month and 12 month reviews, as I am supposed to
- write an erotic story
- answer texts more promptly
- write handwritten letters to close friends on their birthdays
- store all online passwords somewhere
- try the church my friend’s visit on Capital Hill, or attend a universalist service.
Local things I’d like to do:
- See a show at Ford’s Theater
- See a show at Shakespeare Theater
- See a concert at 9:30 club
- Go to stand-up open mic night at Arlington Drafthouse
- Visit the Crime Museum
- Visit the Botanical Gardens
- See a military band concert
- Check out a roller derby event
- Visit Atlantic City, Ocean City, Virginia Beach, or Williamsburg