Day 23: List your top 5 hobbies and why you love them.
- Travel: I love seeing new places, learning how other people live, stepping where history took place, trying new things, experiencing other cultures, gaping at the natural beauty that’s so similar or so varied to that I’ve seen before…I ❤ it all. I want to see things for myself, to really understand other people and their lives, and to experience as much as possible. I can’t imagine not enjoying travel. The restaurants and food, the music, the landscapes, the architecture – all of it appeals! Plus, being from one of the youngest countries, it’s great to see centuries and millenia of history.
- Photography: What better way to capture the different sights and experiences around the world than on film (or digital film, at least)? I love trying to show other people what I see through the lens of my camera. There’s so much for me to learn, so many new cameras and techniques I don’t yet know, but I love experimenting and feel great satisfaction when I’ve perfectly captured what I see in my mind. I tend to prefer photographing nature or landscapes over anything else.
- Dancing: I love the adrenaline, feeling the music, and expressing myself through dance. At various times in my life, I’ve taken ballet, hip hop, tap, jazz, tango, and swing lessons. I’ve loved them all. I was in a competitive show choir (midwestern thing) where we had professionally choreographed routines, and I adored it. I love ballroom and letting someone guide me into artistic manifestations of music. I love hip hop, lap dances, and sultry music that lets me connect with a partner and explore sexuality through musical movement. I love dancing in the club or just randomly for fun, just to goof off and let off steam. It’s a workout and it’s a moment when I don’t think, just feel. I don’t dance enough anymore and I let my own self-consciousness get in the way, but I’m never as happy as I am after a few hours dancing.
- Writing: Writing poetry, song lyrics, erotic stories, journal entries – they all allow me to express myself. I’m pretty easy to read in the moment – I don’t lie well – but I also find it very difficult to express my deeper emotions. I’m improving, but I’m not that great a communicator in terms of what I’m honestly feeling about something. Writing allows me to let out all the things that worry me, to analyze things in a healthier way. By putting things on paper, I usually release them from my mind. Or, for an erotic story, it allows me to explore thoughts and fantasies that I lose track of in my mind.
- Being adventurous with friends: I adore trying new things – see the travel thing above. I highly prioritize trying new things and spending time with my friends, so what better than combining the two? Whether it’s kayaking, trying a new restaurant, ice skating, snow tubing, visiting a museum, going for a road trip, taking a class, going to a festival, etc. – I like getting out there, exploring something I haven’t done before (or sharing a loved thing with someone else who hasn’t done it before), and sharing those moments with people that matter to me.
Other things that barely didn’t make the list: singing and cooking.